Wanna prepare a special dinner for your special someone during Valentine’s Day? Here’s a recipe you could use to impress your loved one!
Paella, also known as Spanish seafood rice is a relatively simple meal to prepare. By following this fool-proof technique, you will be able to pull off a simple meal in under 30 minutes and impress your loved ones, as well as avoiding long queues at fancy restaurants. This is because we believe that a meal cooked with full of love would be more remarkable than having to spend all the money that you could save. Plus, with a little effort put into decorating the dining table, your
Valentine’s celebration will be just as good as paying for a RM800 table to have the “KLCC view”! So, embrace yourself gentlemen, it’s time to go grocery shopping!
You will need:
|Grand Total :||RM80.49|
**Optional: Prawns, squids, and fish! If you have extra money to spend, go on and purchase your seafood of choice as it will add wonders to the paella!**
As fancy as paella sounds, one of the key ingredients is a rather expensive spice called saffron. By using turmeric as a substitute, I can guarantee that it tastes just the same while achieving a similar colour. The above price list, however, is dedicated to those who are completely new to cooking. If you cook on regular basis, you should have rice, oil, and salt lying around, meaning it will most likely cost less than RM50 to create two impressive dishes! So let’s get started!
- Layer corn flakes, jam, and yoghurt accordingly. **Do not prepare this dessert ahead of time as corn flakes will turn soggy**
Paella (Step by Step):
- Prepare the chicken stock by boiling 600ml of water and one cube of chicken stock. Let it cool slightly and have it ready by your side as you will need it pretty soon. Meanwhile, rinse the rice and drain the water 3 times.
- Slice up the sausages and onions (and any seafood that you have bought).
- Heat up the pan and add 3 teaspoons of olive oil (do not purchase extra virgin olive oil for this!). Fry the sliced sausages until golden brown and flip them, which is about 3 minutes for each side over medium heat.
- Remove the sausages once browned, and add in sliced onions. Fry them for about 1 minute over medium heat until translucent and soft. If you are low on oil, add a small dash of oil before putting in the onions
- Then, add in 1 cup of the rice and fry it until it is evenly coated and let it toast for about 30 seconds.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of paprika and one teaspoon of turmeric. Continue frying until it’s evenly coated.
- Add the cooked sausages (and seafood) and layer them on top of the rice. You will need to use your spatula to even out the rice at the bottom of your pan so that they will get nice and crispy.
- Add in 2 cups of chicken stock, close the lid and simmer for about 30 minutes.**Use a measuring cup to measure, and the general formula is 1 part of rice to 2 parts of water. Remember the ratio!**
- Add in a ladle or 4 tablespoons of chicken stock every 10-15 minutes to prevent the rice from drying out and burning. If the stock is sufficient, do not proceed with this ladling process.
- Serve with lemon wedges and sprinkle a generous amount of coriander or spring onions.
And there you have it! We hope that this recipe will be helpful for you, and do tag us on Instagram to show us what you have prepared for your loved one. Have a nice day!