Here’s how you can make one of the all time favorite Taiwanese snack – Scallion Pancakes!
To start with, this delicious and crispy pancakes only require 5 ingredients – Flour, Scallions/Green Onion, Salt, Olive oil and boiling hot water. All you need is to spend some time with kneading the dough, and I guarantee you this will be a delicious treat you will be making again and again.
1. Mix 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of hot water together. Then, add a pinch of flour at a time and stir until it forms a dough.
2. Once the dough is formed, leave it to rest for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, combine two tablespoons of oil and two tablespoons of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to form the oil mixture.
3. Then, sprinkle flour on your clean working surface and pour out the dough. Knead it out with a rolling pin, a glass bottle or use your hands to press it down to form a circular shape.
4. Sprinkle 3/4 of that oil mixture and scatter sliced scallions evenly.
5. Roll it up like a cigar roll, slightly flatten and apply more oil mixture and role it horizontally. Tug the end of the roll underneath the ball shaped mixture, and press it down (refer to video).
6. Put oil into frying pan on medium heat, and sear the pancakes 2 minutes on each side. Then, apply more oil and cook for another 2 minutes on each side.
7. Serve with chili sauce and mayonaise.